Automation, robotics and networking are now common-place in many industries. The agricultural sector makes no exception. New cost-effective and sustainable technologies are in great demand. The imaging component is an important part of many automated systems.
A good example is crop cultivation where vision technology comes into its own. Camera-based technologies are used in nurseries and greenhouses to automatically monitor and analyze plant growth.
Another good example is livestock breeding. Here, camera-based systems are used to monitor and analyze automated processes, and they will also help to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Milking carousels, also called milking robots, have built-in cameras.
Using optical sensors, the milking utensils in milking carousels automatically attach to udders, without any manual intervention. Systems can thus operate 24/7, significantly increasing efficiency. Comprehensive data capturing helps to monitor the health of the animals and improve it when needed.
For pest control and harvest control, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) or drones can be used. Harvesting robots are the basis of automated harvesting and help to increase efficiency significantly, for example when harvesting corn or fruit. Integrated camera technology and specialized software enable robots to accurately detect fruit, analyze its ripeness and control its gripper arm.
Camera series suitable for use in agricultural applications
Basler ace: Compact and flexible
- VGA to 14 MP
- Up to 750 frames per second
Basler dart: High performance at a great price
- Compact housing that is easy to integrate into systems
- Also available as board level version
- For Windows and Linux – also for ARM-based platforms
- Long-term availability (more than 3 years) and 3-year warranty
Basler ToF Camera: Cut System Costs with 3D Technology
- Pulsed Time-of-Flight camera
- 8 x 850nm LEDs (optimized for indoor applications)
- VGA resolution for outstanding 3D imaging
- Powerful Machine Vision features
- Excellent price/performance ratio: high-resolution 3D camera in the mid-range price segment
- Multi-part image with 2D and 3D data in one shot
- Simple integration thanks to one component and standard GigE interface
- Use of NIR LEDs protects the human eyes as required in EN 62471:2008
We'll work with you to find a suitable Basler camera for your agricultural application. Would you like to know more?
We’d be happy to help.