I seem to be having driver problems when trying to use cameras with an IEEE 1394 interface on a system with Windows 7. Can you give me some advice about what to do?
Users have experienced a variety of problems when trying to use IEEE 1394 cameras on a system with Windows 7.
If for some reason you are not able to install the Basler pylon 1394 Bus Driver on a Windows 7 system, you should consider the following scenarios:
1. Microsoft provides a new 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller* in Windows 7, which is by default associated with all of the 1394 cards in the PC. This bus driver does not support Basler 1394 cameras though, and a camera might be displayed in the Device Manager but not be discovered by the pylon viewer.
* Microsoft usually also provides a hardware specific host controller (for example, a Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller). However, this is just another name for the same driver, so it experiences the same problem.
2. To get a Basler 1394 camera to work (not considering the Basler pylon 1394 Bus Driver at this point), do not plug the camera in (if you have already plugged it in, reboot the PC first before going on with this step). Go to the Device Manager and find your 1394 card under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers. Now do the following:
Right click on the 1394 card > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list...> Select the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) > Next > Close
This "Legacy" driver represents the driver used on older Windows OSs, and it supports Basler 1394 cameras as follows:
- Full bandwidth support (S400) of 1394a
- S400 support (half of the maximum possible bandwidth) of 1394b
You can find some additional information about the 1394 bus driver available in Windows 7 at the Microsoft website: www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/1394_Windows7.mspx
If the pylon installation hangs up for some reason, reboot the PC (you usually need to do a complete shutdown and power back on) and follow step 2 above to associate the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) with all 1394 cards in the PC. Once this is complete run the pylon installation again.
In some cases you may need to deselect the Basler pylon 1394 Bus Driver during the installation (for example, if the pylon 1394 Bus Driver does not support a particular 1394a or 1394b card in your PC).